Regardless of their notable benefits and vital role in cooking, onions have drawbacks and disadvantages too. For example, people with sensitive digestive tracts may experience cramping, bloating, and gas.
Disadvantages and Side Effects of Overeating Onion
Another disadvantage of onion is as follows:
- Onions can be a major cause of gastrointestinal upset, such as upset stomach, heartburn, bloating, nausea, etc. While some may vomit, that can lead to irritable bowel syndrome. These indications are comparatively more common when onions are eaten raw rather than cooked.
- A study says that onions can reduce blood clotting. Therefore, if a person experiences bleeding disorders, they should avoid consuming onions in the form of supplements or extracts. Although there is no anecdotal evidence about interactions between antiplatelet medications and onion supplements, avoid consuming onion extract if you take blood-thinning or antiplatelet medications without a healthcare provider’s recommendation.
- Some people are rarely allergic to onions, especially onion seeds. However, symptoms like watery eyes, itching, and skin rashes are seen. Few people can develop adverse effects from exposure to onion extracts or raw onions.
- While pregnant, it is safe to consume onions or onion supplements as they are generally considered safe when consumed in moderation. However, onion supplements or raw onion forms should not be consumed by breastfeeding or pregnant women because of the lack of data on their safety.
- Since onions or onion extracts have been directly linked to bleeding tendency and low blood sugar levels, such extracts should be avoided before any incision.
- One of the most significant drawbacks of consuming onion is their tendency to offer body odor or give bad breath.
- Last, various clinical trials and a few animal studies reported that onion could lower blood glucose levels. Therefore, if you consume onion extract and anti-diabetic medicines together, you are advised to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly.